Yotam Ottolenghi inspired me to create this simple, balanced watermelon salad. It's crisp and delicious in the summer heat.
For the Vinaigrette
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese
For the Salad
- 1/8 of a medium red onion, thinly sliced to yield approximately 1/4 cup
- 1/4 of a medium sized watermelon, about 2 1/2 cups, cut into rectangles that are approximately 1.5” x 1.5” x0.5”
- 8 leaves of basil, preferably Thai basil, torn into small pieces or julienned
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese, crumbled
- 1 yellow daylily, optional for garnish
To make the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, honey salt and black pepper in a sauce pan over medium heat and warm to combine, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool to just above room temperature.
Pour the olive oil into the vinegar and honey mixture, while whisking to create an emulsion. Add two tablespoons of Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese, stir to combine and set aside.
Line the serving dish with the thinly sliced red onion and place the watermelon on top. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the watermelon and the onions. Sprinkle capers and pumpkin seeds evenly over the watermelon and then the reserved two tablespoons of Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese. The yellow day lily petals, or any other edible flower, can be used as garnish, if desired.
Serves two as a first course, one as a main course.